Target Neiman Marcus Collection: Consumers Aren’t Rushing to Buy

Target Neiman Marcus Holiday : A chilly consumer reception

I stopped by my local Target store last night to pick up some things and I saw that the Target Neiman Marcus area was fully stocked.  I also saw customers at the customer service area of the store already doing returns.   I think consumers literally aren’t buying this collection.  Prices maybe cheaper for Neiman Marcus customers, but for the average Target shopper, this collection is no bargain.  Looking at the social sentiments via Twitter and Target’s website, I’d say consumers are underwhelmed by the offerings. Items don’t seem to be selling on Target.com or on eBay either.  Here’s a sentiment from one shopper, Corrin Foster,  via Twitter:

Target Neiman Collection Underwhelming says @CorrinFoster

Other shoppers are dissing the goods in their reviews for Target.com. Poor quality is a problem with the Oscar de la Renta Handbag and the Lela Rose Dress.  Of the Oscar handbag, reviewer AZThorne notes, “The whole bag is canvas and there is not a stitch of embroidery at all!  The canvas material is a magnetic for dirt, and two of the three in the store already had black scuff marks on the corners of the bags.

Several Target shoppers commented on the poor fit of the Lela Rose dress. Janine in New York says, “I couldn’t get the 2s zipped past my DDs, and the 4s zippered fine but were way too big/long everywhere else and would have required substantial alterations… and unlike NM, Target has no in-house tailors. Given my proportions it’s not that unusual for things to not fit quite right off the hanger, but this was an exceptionally bad fit across the board.

Of course, it’s only been 3 days, but Analysts are already on death watch for this collection and making excuses for the lackluster sales. Target-Addict (the guru of all things Tarjay) reports that sales are less than stellar.

“We had high expectations following a warm reception at a NYC one-day pop-up shop on Nov. 29, with over 6,000 attending,” said Citigroup analyst Deborah Weinswig, adding she visited the Target store in New York on Saturday when the collection was officially launched. “We were disappointed by in-store execution. The collection was tucked in the back of the store, shelves were full and messy, and we saw little traffic.”

I haven’t seen the collection tucked away.  At the Target stores in Los Angeles it is front and center.  I see the same issues that have plagued Target Go collections, plague this collection.   The clothes (women’s) are undersized, zippers are broken or not working (the Lela Rose dress) and the armholes are too small (Lela Rose.)  Also, as I originally pointed out in my review, you can find some designer items of higher quality at your local Last Call Neiman Marcus store by the same name brand designers.  Maybe consumers have just had enough of the hype around this collection or other designer budget collaborations.   Here’s my prediction.  Target is going to put this stuff on clearance before Christmas , maybe even in the next 10 days, and then it’s going to sell a bit.  Look for price reductions soon.

This entry was posted in Accessories, Fashion and tagged , , , , .

8 Comments

1. Target-AddictDecember 6, 2012 at 3:13 am | Permalink

Thanks for the shout-out! Smart move that your local store has the display up front and center; my store just moved it from a back corner to the main entrance, so hopefully more shoppers will notice it now. But I agree: it’s gonna take a sale for this stuff to really move.

2. Stephanie AndersonDecember 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I can’t see how this Target thing will take off for them. It will take time for this stuff to move, honestly. People go to target to find bargains and cheap stuff, although not as bad as Walmart, it’s the same type of demographic really.

3. TeriDecember 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I have heard from several Target employees that, unlike previous designer collaborations, the stores are contractually prohibited from clearancing these items. Instead unsold merchandise (from the looks of things that will be most of it!) will be returned to a warehouse and destroyed. :(

• Mary HallDecember 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

If that’s true, that is a horrible solution to over pricing this line! Usually, Target sends things to Goodwill, as they did with Missoni.

4. HollyDecember 13, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Although the price point is higher so is the quality. I went into Neimans and Target to check out the collection after the crazy first day (which turned out to be not so crazy). The appeal is definitely more for the Neimans (dare I say, Last Call customer). I do feel the quality is better than most of the Target collabs (wool, cashmere, leather, hand painting, mahogany). There were things I was really looking forward to that were dogs (Marc Jacobs anything, the Oscar bag stand out) but there were plenty of gems: the Atwood gloves, Skaist-Taylor vest and the Thom Browne jacket for women, the Rag and Bone Men’s sweater and the Altrazzura bar set. Yes, all more than the normal price point but well executed and no halfway fabrics. I know many dreamed of a DVF wrap dress for $60 but it would be made if rayon which shrinks when washed, wrinkles when worn and dissolves a little each trip to the dry cleaner. I know this isa bit of a contrarian view but the pieces aren’t fast fashion but made to last longer which is ultimately more frugal with cost per wears. This is one of my favorite collabs for value next to Liberty of London (which I even kicked down for the bike). This will sadly end up in a landfill it looks (warehouses destroy tags and make into garbage) while the other collections end up there for quality. Irony!

• Mary HallDecember 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Tiffany, I agree there are some good things here. I think if Target dropped price even 15% it would start to move. I hope they do that, so it doesn’t end up in the landfill.

5. JenniferJanuary 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Everything I saw of this collection, displayed front & center at our local Target, screamed “cheap quality” & didn’t catch one eye. Many shoppers, including myself, browsed the entire collection, but there was NOTHING worth the price points – especially when nearly every last item was made by a 9yr old slaving away in a sweatshop that has the doors chained shut.

6. TrixieApril 15, 2013 at 2:25 am | Permalink

At Neiman Marcus Last Call today they are still trying to unload De la Renta dog bowls and Eddie Borgo’s crapola.