According to uber reliable source Bloomberg, Target is starting to edge ahead of big box competitor Walmart. I think it’s because they put in those groceries stores within their stores. After all, people have to eat. Research from Bloomberg Industries reports that this month, Target had lower prices than Wal-Mart for the first time since October. The Target led is by widest margin since the monthly study began two years ago. The study examined the gap in average price across a basket of 150 like items at stores within five miles of each other. The recession still holds most US retailers in a tight gridlock, each store barely eking out profits in a tough economy. According to Bloomberg. “the discounters are fighting for U.S. customers who are still dealing with high unemployment and slow wage growth.” Big box stores are not only battling each other, but online retailers as well. Consumers who shop at discount chains “are trying to stretch their budgetary dollars as much as possible,”notes Jennifer Bartashus, an analyst for Bloomberg Industries in Skillman, New Jersey. “They will be driven to whatever store offers the better value.” An interesting conclusion, but one that seems to be true. Price seems to be king for most consumers right now. That’s how stores like Target and Walmart survive, despite controversies and labor complaints that have dogged both retailers.
Follow The Recessionista
Search The Recessionista
Sign up for our mailing list.
- Giveaway: Stay Connected to Fashion + Deals with a Toshiba Portege R705 loaded w...
- Get Jennifer Aniston’s Look for Less and Enter to Win a $100 Kohl’s ...
- The Recessionista Reviews Derek Lam for Kohl’s
- Hot Holiday Giveaway: Win a $300.00 Gift Card for shopping at HauteLook
- Kohl’s Giveaway, Fall Fashion for Fashion’s Night Out (FNO)
- Sunday Special: Giveaway of Clarins Skin Care Feed Project Cosmetic Bag
- Holiday Giveaway: Enter to win $250 to shop from Serve by American Express
- Christmas Gifts at Kohl’s and a Special Giveaway
- Anne Taylor Loft Fall 2010 Sneak Preview and Necklace Giveaway
- Enter to Win some Amazing Amrita Singh Earrings and Shop for 20% off at Amrita S...
- trish commented on Sponsored Post: Seven Days of Wonder Skincare Giveaway
- megan commented on Designer Charlotte Ronson Partners with Starbucks
- Nerline commented on H&M Announces their next designer collab: Isabel Marant
- dermstore commented on Presidents Day 2013 Sales: Special Fashion Savings
- maillot de foot commented on Tasteless:The Rihanna for River Island Two collection Hits the Racks
- LyndaontheHudson commented on Preview: Phillip Lim 3.1 for Target
- Rob McGuire commented on It’s hard to be a Recessionista Bride: The High Cost of Weddings
- Mary Hall commented on Hair Care: Pantene Thickening Product/ Serum a Best Buy
- lana layne commented on Hair Care: Pantene Thickening Product/ Serum a Best Buy
- alma commented on Sponsored Post: Father’s Day Giveaway Uniqlo Snoopy “Peanuts” Tees
The Recessionista’s Top Picks
- Shopping Club Edition01, Haute Couture
- Fab Vintage Finds
- Rent the Runway
- US Only: Gilt Groupe Designer Sales
- Belle and Clive Shopping Club, fashion deals
- Groupon Invite
- Vacation Deals: Gilt Jetsetter
- US Only: Ideeli DESIGNER Sales,
- eBates: Earn Cash Back When You Shop
- Join HauteLook as our Guest!
- Invite Gilt Man: Discount Designer Menswear
- Shopping Club Beyond the Rack
- Invite: Billion Dollar Babes Shopping Club
- Editor's Closet, Designer Deals, Prada + More!
- The New York Times: The Recessionista
- The Chic Bargainista on Tumblr
- My Huffington Post Articles
- The Recessionista's™ You Tube Channel
AD: Gilt Groupe, Designer Deals
Featured in Better Homes & Gardens
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style Magazine
Score Big at Sales!
Follow @Recessionista on Twitter
Tweet with @Recessionista
Folllow me on Google+
Proud Winner of a Bloggy Award
Blog Catalog Member
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Read All About It!
Guardian UK Partner
Glam Network Logo
About MeSince 2008, Mary Hall has been the author of The Recessionista®, which is read by thousands of regular readers in over 160 countries. An internationally recognized expert on the art of the living the good life for less, she has been a commentator on local, national, and international radio and TV shows. Her advice has been featured in over 2,000 media outlets, including The New York Times, Reuters, Life & Style magazine, ABC News, NBC News and now The Huffington Post, among many others. Contact Mary at Mary (at) TheRecessionista dot com
The Recessionista TopicsAmerican Express beauty products betsey johnson Black Friday deals budget Norma Kamali Coco Chanel Dana Buchman David Beckham designer deals designer Michelle Smith MILLY discount fashion fashion giveaway Hautelook HM Ideeli Jason Wu for Target Kate Middleton' style Kohl's London Fashion Week Lulu Guinness MACY's Marni for HM Michelle Obama Neiman Marcus new york fashion week Norma Kamali NYFW Project Runway Rachel Zoe Recessionista recessionista fashion Rent the Runway ruelala Ruelala sale Saks Fifth Avenue sale Shoes Simply Vera Spring 2013 target topshop Tracy Reese Vera Wang Zara