|Pictured: One of my favorite fashion fantasies, Elizabeth Taylor’s Chanel Ballgown (photo: M. Hall)|
Like Keats, I believe that a thing of beauty is joy for ever. And my favorite beautiful items to think about are usually fashion related. A new study shows that I am not alone. While it has been said that men think about sex several times in a minute, research from British Fashion site Very.com shows that young British women think about fashion 91 times each and every day. That sounds low to me:) But accurate. As women we are indeed mesmerized by fashion. Here are the highlights of the study:
- Young British women have a fashion thought every 11 minutes and 23 seconds.
- The total amount of time spent contemplating couture any given day is one hour and 19 minutes. That’s 30 days spent dwelling on, and deliberating over clothes, accessories, jewelery and make-up every year.
- For over one in ten (11 per cent) of young British women, fashion the thing they think about more than anything else on a daily basis – including friends, family and work.
- Dresses – from Maxi’s to Peplums to Skaters – occupy the most brain space (38 per cent) in women’s thoughts.
- Nearly one third (27 per cent) admit to taking in excess of six separate peeks at online fashion sites in an average day. Trumping this, 62 per cent claim to regularly drift off at work and get caught up in fashion daydreams.
Rebecca Elderfield, Very.co.uk Style Director said, ” For many young women fashion is so much more than a casual hobby or mild interest – it’s a way of life, and the results of the survey confirm that. With fashion trends moving so quickly we want to buy it and wear it instantly and that’s exactly what we offer via our online and mobile fashion portals.” What do you think readers? I think the British women thinking about fashion represent all of us whether American, European, Canadian or the rest of the world. Women just love fashion. Period.