And it came to pass that in the social media era, I ventured forth to the BlogHer conference New York City and sought my fortunes. Thus, I sallied forth from Los Angeles with empty pockets and high hopes. I sought the coolest new technology, the most Twitterific communications and of course the best deals in New York City. My champagne wishes and recessionista dreams were rewarded, and I won a new Toshiba Portege mini-laptop loaded with Windows 7. But wait, there’s more. I actually won two! Yes, one for me, and one for you dear reader! As I’ve said before here on the blog, I can’t help anyone until I help myself. So, I have my Portege, and frankly, I am in love with it. It’s so portable I can take it with me anywhere I go from Fashion Shows, to special events to intensive Tweet-ups. Even better, I can be virtually anywhere with it. Like watching London Fashion Week today via my laptop, or chatting with Christopher Bailey ( you know that guy that seems to have all the innovative ideas @Burberry.) I can also communicate from anywhere to anywhere via Web cam and built in Microphone. It’s not the Art of the Trench, it’s the Art of Being Everywhere Recessionista Style. How else can you see the world, attend fashion shows and meet top designers on a low-budget. Easy, technology. Here’s are a few things I’ve been doing to power the blog with the goodies in Windows 7, and coincidentally, these were my answers in the Windows 7 contest run by Microsoft at BlogHer which lead to my fantastic Toshiba Portege score:
- Using Windows 7 Live Writer to add the copyright watermark to some of my pictures on The Recessionista
- Using Window 7 Photo Gallery to resize and touch up photos. I can also merge several photos together into one master shot, so I can get the best photo of everyone and everything
- Using Windows 7 to preview all the windows I have open
All answers were Tweeted via my crackberry while shopping in the NY Garment District. Cool enough for you? So I got mine, how do you get yours? Easy. You will enter my little Social Media contest here on the blog to try to win your own Toshiba Portege R705. Here’s how:
- Follow The Recessionista on Twitter, @Recessionista – 1 Entry (leave a comment to tell me you are a follower.)
- Tweet the Giveaway (Use your own 140 characters or use this here’s little sample tweet: #Win a Toshiba Portege laptop w/#Windows7 from @Recessionista http://bit.ly/bkkFIX pls RT) – 1 Entry per Tweet, Unlimited Tweets (please space them by 2 at least hours though!) (leave a comment to tell me you are got Twitterific.)
- Tell me how you would use the LapTop, if you win, to help Special Needs kids. Leave a comment that you are trying to win this contest on behalf of a school to help Special Needs children, and tell me the school you are trying to win for. My nephew has Autism, and I would love to see a school that helps kids with Autism or special capabilities win this. If you are trying to help Special Kids, leave me a website link in a blog comment for verification. If you are a teacher, or tutor, please let me know that.– 5 Entries
- Blog this Giveaway (leave a direct link via the comments) – 5 Entries
- Send me some “Link Luv” by adding me to your Blog Roll – 3 Entries (leave a comment to tell me where you linked into the blog from.)
- Share a link to The Recessionista on a social media blog aggregator site (ie StumbleUpon, Digg, etc.) – 1 Entry per Location (leave a comment to tell me where you buzzed up the blog.)
- Fan The Recessionista on Facebook – 1 Entry (leave a comment to tell me you joined.)
- Get a friend to fan The Recessionista on Facebook (they must leave a comment on my Facebook wall saying “_____ sent me!” – filling in your name, obv.). – 1 Entry per Friend
- Tell me your favorite thing about The Recessionista (please, be serious… I love praise as much as the next blogger, but a love-in is not necessary) – 1 Entry
- Tell me your least favorite thing about The Recessionista/something you’d like changed (please be sensitive because like Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement of my TV fav, The Flight of the Conchords, I can get hurt feelings very easily. Some people say Bloggers have no feelings, but I got feelings! :) Please use your most gentle social media voice when leaving this comment. – 1 Entry, only 1 suggestion allowed
- Suggest a topic you’d like to see covered like: deals, coupons, Fashion Week, Style Trends, Beauty , or freebies, – 1 Entry per Suggestion, only 2 suggestions allowed
- Finally, however you enter, please leave an email address in your comment so I can find you.
- Contest will run until midnight PST, Oct. 5th, so get busy, and get social!
- THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED as of 10/05 at midnight. Thanks to all that entered!
That’s all folks! Get busy and get social to see if you can get this Toshiba Portege. I carried it all the way from New York via a new tote purchased at Syms Park Avenue just for you!!! It actually cost me $$ to bring this home for you!
Note: Due to shipping costs and customs issues, the contest is open only to my US readers. International readers, stay tuned, there will be more giveaways for you!