I was saddened to read of the passing of Jean Simmons in the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. After all the fun and glitz of the SAG Awards, it was sobering to read of the loss of a great, versatile actress and a classic style icon. Jean died here in Santa Monica of lung cancer last Friday. As as kid, I remembering watch her in the movie Spartacus, and thinking how absolutely gorgeous she was. She was soft spoken with a gentle style. There was never anything over powering about Jean when I saw her on the screen. She was frequently mistaken for other classic beauties like Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor. Unlike them, she later moved into playing character roles like the mother in the Thornbirds mini-series. My favorite movie of hers was Young Bess, where she played the young Queen Elizabeth I of England. When I think of her style, I think of simplicity. Hair worn short, or pulled back from her face, little makeup except for her striking eyes, beautifully shaped brows, a little black dress and a string of pearls. It doesn’t take a million dollars to replicate Jean Simmons’ look. In many ways, Nicole Kidman reminds me of Jean Simmons with her grace of movement, soft voice and poise.
Follow The Recessionista
Search The Recessionista
Sign up for our mailing list.
MOVEN: Savvy Spending & Shopping
- Giveaway: Stay Connected to Fashion + Deals with a Toshiba Portege R705 loaded w...
- Kohl’s Spring/Summer Fashion Giveaway
- Get Jennifer Aniston’s Look for Less and Enter to Win a $100 Kohl’s ...
- BOGO Deal at Target on Physicians Formula Makeup & a Giveaway
- The Recessionista Reviews Phillip Lim for Target, It’s Good
- The Recessionista Reviews Derek Lam for Kohl’s
- Experience Kohl’s YES2YOU Rewards–Shop & Save
- WIN an Engagement RING! Holiday Jewelry Twitter Party with Robbins Brothers
- Elie Tahari Kohl’s Preview and Giveaway
- Hot Holiday Giveaway: Win a $300.00 Gift Card for shopping at HauteLook
- Elita commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- CHERYL HOLSTEIN commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Robin W commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- angela commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Kristen commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Bonny McDevitt commented on Lilly Pulitzer for Target Makeup Bag Giveaway
- Jan McD commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Daiana Enache commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Shawna commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
- Lesly commented on Eva Longoria Home Giveaway with JCPenney
The Recessionista’s Top Picks
- Shopping Club Edition01, Haute Couture
- Fab Vintage Finds
- Rent the Runway
- US Only: Gilt Groupe Designer Sales
- Belle and Clive Shopping Club, fashion deals
- Groupon Invite
- Vacation Deals: Gilt Jetsetter
- US Only: Ideeli DESIGNER Sales,
- eBates: Earn Cash Back When You Shop
- Join HauteLook as our Guest!
- Invite Gilt Man: Discount Designer Menswear
- Shopping Club Beyond the Rack
- Editor's Closet, Designer Deals, Prada + More!
- The New York Times: The Recessionista
- The Chic Bargainista® on Tumblr
- My Huffington Post Articles
- The Recessionista's®; You Tube Channel
AD: Gilt Groupe, Designer Deals
Denizen Levi’s Brand Ambassador
Featured in Better Homes & Gardens
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style Magazine
Score Big at Sales!
Follow @Recessionista on Twitter
Tweet with @Recessionista
Folllow me on Google+
Featured on Blogher
Proud Winner of a Bloggy Award
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Member of POPSUGAR Select Fashion
Read All About It!
Guardian UK Partner
About MeSince 2008, Mary Hall has been the author of The Recessionista®, which is read by thousands of regular readers in over 160 countries. An internationally recognized expert on the art of the living the good life for less, she has been a commentator on local, national, and international radio and TV shows. Her advice has been featured in over 2,000 media outlets, including The New York Times, Reuters, Life & Style magazine, ABC News, NBC News and now The Huffington Post, among many others. Contact Mary at Mary (at) TheRecessionista dot com
The Recessionista TopicsAmerican Express beauty products betsey johnson Black Friday deals budget Norma Kamali Coco Chanel Dana Buchman David Beckham designer deals designer Michelle Smith MILLY discount fashion fashion giveaway Hautelook HM Ideeli Kate Middleton' style Kohl's London Fashion Week Lulu Guinness MACY's Marni for HM Michelle Obama Monique Lhuillier Neiman Marcus new york fashion week Norma Kamali NYFW Project Runway Rachel Zoe Recessionista recessionista fashion Rent the Runway ruelala Ruelala sale Saks Fifth Avenue sale Shoes Simply Vera Spring 2013 target topshop Tracy Reese Vera Wang Zara