As some of you may recall, I posted a little survey pre-Black Friday on my blog about shopping habits regarding saving and spending over the holiday buying season. Well, the results are in, and I wanted to let you know how we are doing as we all try to shop smart and stay within our budget.
So here are the results. The key takeaways are:
- It’s nearly an even split between those who plan to shop more for themselves (45%) or more for others (55%)
- 100% of readers said they sometimes buy things they may not need because they are good deals
- 50% of respondents have money saved up for their purchases and another 42% plan to put them on credit cards
This survey was conducted in association with a site called LifeTuner that is working to develop financial guidance, tools and tips for young adults plus monitor holiday shopping habits. They have an interesting section on their site called Eight Habits, which offers advice that Ben Franklin who said ” penny saved is a penny earned” would treasure. You might want to give it a look.
Some of you may have seen another survey that the Associated Press ran pre-Black Friday on spending habits. According to that survey, we are all shopping less this holiday season and doing more saving. In the AP survey, most shoppers, 80%, said they’ll use mostly cash to pay for their holiday shopping. Frankly that surprised me, but in this year of the cracking down on the credit card companies for excessive financing fees, I’m very glad to see shoppers cutting out the ones who charge way too much for giving us credit.
Rock on Recessionistas and keep shopping smart. And by the way, here are some savvy shopping tips:
- Starting Friday, December 4th, our friends at Loehmann’s will be offering luxe cashmere, fur accessories, jewelry and more at savings of up to 64% off department stores prices.
- Look for more Kohl’s power hours coming up to help you stretch your dollars.
- Bloomingdales Private Sale started yesterday; if you’re a cardholder, you should have gotten your $25-off coupons in the mail. (Thank you Target-Addict.)
- If you’re on Banana Republic’s mailing list, you should have received a 20% off coupon good for purchases between Dec. 7-13.
- If you’re on Macy’s list, you should’ve received your Friends and Family discount coupons in the mail, good until Dec. 7th.
- VISA cardholders should have gotten two coupon cards from GAP in the mail: one for 25% off on Dec. 4-6, and another one for 20% off from Dec. 7-20. (Thank you Target-Addict.) If you didn’t get the GAP mailer, check out the promotion codes on Sale.com
- Burberry: Finally the Autumn/Winter sale has arrived. Click here to check it.
- Ann Taylor Loft, You’re invited to the LOFT Shopping Party: Receive an Exclusive 30% Off December 5. Drop by a Loft near you for music and refreshments while you shop the sale.