Alot of Fashion for a Small Price: All in One Top + Summer Norma Kamali

Have any of you seen this little beauty (pictured above) online at your local Walmart store? I’m talking about the All in One $20.00(US) black top from Norma Kamali made for Walmart, that can be worn in a variety of wonderful ways.

Check out the video demonstration below of all the ways you can wear this versatile piece. Seeing is believing. This can be worn off the shoulder, strapless, halter topped and also conventionally with both sleeves on the arms. Imagine that! :)

Now that you’ve seen the demonstration, you may want to order one for that casual, chic look for summer. Well, I have good news and bad news. The top is selling quickly at Walmart online, and not all sizes are available. Now for the good news! Don’t despair Recessionistas. A new collection of Walmart looks from NK is on the way. I was in New York two weeks ago and had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Kamali in person at her store on West 56th Street. I got to see her hard at work on both her fashions and her Wellness products (teas, olive oils and more).

Pictured: My meeting with Norma Kamali (Norma is the cool looking one in the sunglasses.)

She was as charming and gracious in person as she appeared on Bravo’s Fashion Show last week. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I really liked her in the role of judge, she critiqued the fashion and the designs, not the people. No one was brought to tears on national TV by “Madam Kamali” as Issac called her. Truly a class act. But I digress, check out what’s about to hit the racks and get ready to grin! Because it’s a beautiful and affordable. Here’s a sneak preview of two of the dresses.

Pictured: Coming soon a green off the shoulder peasant dress and a faux snake skin , wrap dress. Both Norma Kamali for Walmart.

To hear Norma talk about her upcoming affordable fashions at Walmart, watch your local ABC news tomorrow night, (May 28th.) Norma and The Recessionista (yours truly) will be featured in a segment on Recession Chic as part of ABC’s Economic Survival Segment. In the segment Norma notes, “There’s something about the recession and the downturn economy that will not only bring me into this world, but makes us all kind of come together and think of new ways to do things. I absolutely agree. Necessity is often the mother of invention as the saying goes.

I will be talking about a range of great bargains I have found, plus NK for Walmart. It’s a segment you won’t want to miss if you are looking to shop smart and savvy.

Pictured: More of the upcoming NK for Walmart stuff.

Watch future blog posts to learn when the new items are in stores and online for order!
We have some new pics for the summer line from blog reader Susan in North Carolina. She sent pics of the new stuff which is already in at her Walmart. There is some amazing stuff here!

Pictured: The new summer wrap dresses in Olive and Snakeskin. Plus, the Royal Blue Ludmilla dress from Spring. Love the Sweetheart Wrap Dress in the Olive!

Pictured: Cool Summer Tees with Starfish and Snails.

Pictured: Gorgeous long Olive button-down shirt and pants

Pictured: The new scarves for summer in snakeskin, olive and yellow
Pictured: Matching Totes for the Beach, only $18.00

Pictured: The Olive NK Safari Jacket

Pictured: The Blue NK Henley Shirt

Click here to see the ABC story. Stay up to date by joining The Recessionista’s Facebook group for all the latest.

This entry was posted in Fashion and tagged , , .

21 Comments

1. SusanMay 28, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

The snakeskin dress, scarves, and palm tree tees are already in my local WalMart. Can’t wait for the news tonight!

2. AnonymousMay 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

WOW-Susan, you have a scoop here! They have not yet hit Los Angeles Walmarts.

3. SusanMay 28, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I stopped in today again and they have the skirt that is pictured with the tee in the photos above too. It’s darling and has a palm tree print on it. Also comes in white We have lovely camp shirts and khakis as well. Olive green seems to be a big summer color. The snakeskin dress is also available in the olive green. There are knit skirts in snakeskin, black, and olive, and great tops to go with them. I’ve started stopping in twice weekly to watch for new things!

4. KristenMay 28, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Cute stuff! I can’t even believe it’s at Walmart.

Checking you out from SITs.

5. 00o00May 28, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

you’re going to be on teevee!!!!
    thanks for the twitter support :D

6. Quick ChickMay 29, 2009 at 1:44 am | Permalink

The black all in one top reminds me of something from American Apparel. Who would have thought you could find it at Wal-Mart! Fantastic article, I will have to go check out Wal-Mart soon. I would have never thought to look there.

7. budget chicMay 29, 2009 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Thank you for the heads up on the green dress, I will definitely be looking out for it!

8. Chanel LurverMay 29, 2009 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Recessionista, you were great on TV. Loved the combo of a great designer bringing fashion to the masses and a blogger finding values to help people survive the downturn in style!
    I hope you do Good Morning America. I can see you on the couch having coffee with Diane & Robin. You looked great on TV, showing us that chic can truly be done cheaply. Thanks. I will be subscribing here.

PS–What was the little black rose necklace you were wearing on TV? That looked like a COCO Camilla. Combien (HOW MUCH was that??)

9. Mina IrfanMay 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I just recently discovered walmart clothing! Who knew!

Wonderful article and congrats on the TV appearance!

Mina

10. EthanMay 29, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I have discovered something else at Walmart. In my job, the best shirt I can wear are polo style. They’re just the easiest to wear, most comfortable, and look fine. I was on a never ending search for the best value for a polo shirt and thought I had hit paydirt a couple mos. ago at Costco when they got their new Kirkland brand polo’s in. I bought a few and they’re ok, if not very good.

However, I was at Walmart a month ago and saw a polo w/ the ‘Faded Glory’ brand for under $10 so thought I’d give it a try.. and it’s by far the best one I have, and I’ve bought about 3 more. It’s the most comfortable, fits the best, looks the best, and the least expensive. I’m also wearing a pair of cargo shorts from Walmart with the Nobo brand (No Boundaries), and they too are probably the best and least expensive ones I’ve got. No joke, this stuff is great.

My next foray into Walmart is to see what sort of work pants I can find.. I’ve been on a quest for good khaki style (w/o the pleats).. or khaki colored denim, and haven’t been too successful. Costco always has some CK pants but they never fit well.

11. LaCroix FanMay 29, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Good on you & Norma! Norma knows how to ride out a tough economy. I love the part where she said the design has NO PRICE.
    Look at poor Christian Lacroix.! http://www.look.co.uk/news/details.cfm?articleid=96f7d4560d8343b683b3379423307976&pageref=fashion

12. AnonymousMay 30, 2009 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Does anyone know what kind of Sunglasses Norma was wearing in that TV shot? vivian

13. MHMay 30, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hey readers! Thanks for all the comments.

The necklace I wore on TV was the new Yummi Glass Black Flower pendant. It DOES remind me of Chanel’s flowers.
    On NK’s sunglasses—I don’t know the answer, but I will ask her! :)

14. MHJune 2, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Answer to the Q on Norma’s sunglasses:
    Norma’s Glasses are actually her OWN design! You can see them at http://www.normakamalicollection.com under accessories- they cost $150 (A great price for Designer sunglasses which average cost $280- $500)

15. Sweety PJune 4, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Norma Kamali is beyond one of the most inspiring designers in the world! Oh, I love her so much! To be able to make several outfits out of one garment is all girls dreams, well at least I think so.

16. MissRedLipsJune 5, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink

i will definitely be visiting walmart! this is great!

17. glam.spoonJune 5, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I'm in love with NK and that top… I think that is one of her signatures – versatility. I seem to remember something about that years ago. But here's the problem – I boycott walmart! I buy local… so I guess its OK that the top is sold out.

18. MHJune 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Hey Glam Spoon, if you like NK, but not Walmart, you might check out her collection at Speigel.

19. Cafe FashionistaJune 7, 2009 at 12:56 am | Permalink

This stuff is gorgeous. I can't believe I can find it at Wal-Mart. Oh, if only I had taken a gander at the clothing department today; I was in the store earlier!

20. misslikeyJune 11, 2009 at 9:31 am | Permalink

I really love that safari jacket

21. SusanJune 14, 2009 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Stopped in my Walmart today, they finally had the green off the shoulder peasant dress you pictured above. Gorgeous! Still waiting on the bathing suits though!