Yesterday was big day here at Recessionista HQ. Why? I actually cleaned out…..gasp…my handbag! At times my handbag is akin to a black hole. Jimmy Hoffa could be found there, or even a UFO. Its full of clutter. So, during my annual, ah hmmm, cleaning, I discovered two unused gift certificates. Hiding in the bottom corner of the bag, I have a Starbuck’s gift certificate and a $50.00 gift certificate for movie theatre tickets. Eureka, savings on the way! After making this discovery (not on the same scale as the Rosetta stone, but still significant.) I did a few Google searches. I wanted to know, am I the only one sitting on my gift cards? The answer is a resounding NO. A great article from The New York Times notes that many gift cards and even gym memberships are purchased and then go unused. A few years ago the Tower Group did a report on this noting ” that of the $80 billion spent on gift cards in 2006, roughly $8 billion will never be redeemed.” This year, as we find ourselves in the throes of a worldwide economic downturn, the gift cards you may be saving take on a new urgency. Why? Well dear readers, stores are closing all over the country. Here in Los Angeles, every time I drive to work I see people out waving signs to remind me that Linen’s & Things is closing. And they are not alone. Another Google search reveals that many stores around the world are closing. There are stories about Circuit City, Radio Shack, Mervyn’s and many more. Retailers are closing in Asia and Europe as well. And that brings me back to the gift certificates, if the store you have a gift certificate for is closing, remember use it or loose it! So check your handbag, your wallet, desk drawers and where ever else you might store these things. You might just find your own stimulus package at your fingertips!
Follow The Recessionista
Search The Recessionista
Sign up for our mailing list.
MOVEN: Savvy Spending & Shopping
- Giveaway: Stay Connected to Fashion + Deals with a Toshiba Portege R705 loaded w...
- Kohl’s Spring/Summer Fashion Giveaway
- Get Jennifer Aniston’s Look for Less and Enter to Win a $100 Kohl’s ...
- BOGO Deal at Target on Physicians Formula Makeup & a Giveaway
- The Recessionista Reviews Phillip Lim for Target, It’s Good
- The Recessionista Reviews Derek Lam for Kohl’s
- Experience Kohl’s YES2YOU Rewards–Shop & Save
- WIN an Engagement RING! Holiday Jewelry Twitter Party with Robbins Brothers
- Elie Tahari Kohl’s Preview and Giveaway
- Hot Holiday Giveaway: Win a $300.00 Gift Card for shopping at HauteLook
- Target-Addict commented on Target says they won’t restock their Lilly Pulitzer collection
- Ava Grigson commented on Schwarzkopf ULTÎME Hair Products Coming to Walmart
- Maria commented on The Recessionista Reviews Lilly for Target
- Kate commented on The Recessionista Reviews Lilly for Target
- Mary Hall commented on The Recessionista Reviews Lilly for Target
- Holly commented on The Recessionista Reviews Lilly for Target
- Mary Hall commented on Budgeting & Planning for the Lilly Pulitzer for Target Collection
- Dawn Lucy commented on Budgeting & Planning for the Lilly Pulitzer for Target Collection
- Target-Addict commented on Budgeting & Planning for the Lilly Pulitzer for Target Collection
- Mary Hall commented on Halle Berry Brings ‘Scandale Paris’ Lingerie to Target
The Recessionista’s Top Picks
- Shopping Club Edition01, Haute Couture
- Fab Vintage Finds
- Rent the Runway
- US Only: Gilt Groupe Designer Sales
- Belle and Clive Shopping Club, fashion deals
- Groupon Invite
- Vacation Deals: Gilt Jetsetter
- US Only: Ideeli DESIGNER Sales,
- eBates: Earn Cash Back When You Shop
- Join HauteLook as our Guest!
- Invite Gilt Man: Discount Designer Menswear
- Shopping Club Beyond the Rack
- Editor's Closet, Designer Deals, Prada + More!
- The New York Times: The Recessionista
- The Chic Bargainista® on Tumblr
- My Huffington Post Articles
- The Recessionista's®; You Tube Channel
AD: Gilt Groupe, Designer Deals
Denizen Levi’s Brand Ambassador
Featured in Better Homes & Gardens
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style
The Recessionista Talks to Life & Style Magazine
Score Big at Sales!
Follow @Recessionista on Twitter
Tweet with @Recessionista
Folllow me on Google+
Featured on Blogher
Proud Winner of a Bloggy Award
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Member of POPSUGAR Select Fashion
Read All About It!
Guardian UK Partner
About MeSince 2008, Mary Hall has been the author of The Recessionista®, which is read by thousands of regular readers in over 160 countries. An internationally recognized expert on the art of the living the good life for less, she has been a commentator on local, national, and international radio and TV shows. Her advice has been featured in over 2,000 media outlets, including The New York Times, Reuters, Life & Style magazine, ABC News, NBC News and now The Huffington Post, among many others. Contact Mary at Mary (at) TheRecessionista dot com
The Recessionista TopicsAmerican Express beauty products betsey johnson Black Friday deals budget Norma Kamali Coco Chanel Dana Buchman David Beckham designer deals designer Michelle Smith MILLY discount fashion fashion giveaway Hautelook HM Ideeli Kate Middleton' style Kohl's London Fashion Week Lulu Guinness MACY's Marni for HM Michelle Obama Monique Lhuillier Neiman Marcus new york fashion week Norma Kamali NYFW Project Runway Rachel Zoe Recessionista recessionista fashion Rent the Runway ruelala Ruelala sale Saks Fifth Avenue sale Shoes Simply Vera Spring 2013 target topshop Tracy Reese Vera Wang Zara